Connect with us


How to deal with inadmissibility? #Canadaimmigration

You have four ways to deal with inadmissibility:

1) Prove that you are “deemed rehabilitated”: meaning; enough time has passed since your conviction, and thus you should be allowed to enter Canada.

2) Prove that you are rehabilitated, which means that you are not likely to commit new crimes. This can happen in several ways; however, the most common way is to apply for criminal rehabilitation after 5 years of committing the crime or the end of the criminal sentence. You can apply for criminal rehabilitation at a visa office abroad.

3) Record suspension or discharge (formerly known as a pardon): you can obtain record suspension in Canada from the Parole Board of Canada if you have committed a crime in Canada. You can also obtain record suspension from the country of conviction and the Canadian government may accept that record suspension.

4) Obtain a Temporary Resident Permit: If less than five years have passed since the end of your sentence and you have a genuine/valid reason to enter Canada, you can apply for a temporary resident permit. The final decision is based on your risk profile, if the immigration or border services officer comes to the conclusion that your entry or stay in Canada outweighs the health and safety risks to Canadian society, they will issue a TRP, otherwise, you will not be allowed to enter Canada. You can still use the other three ways to deal with your inadmissibility, however. TRP can be issued for 1 day to a maximum of 3 years, single entry or multiple entries, this is put to the discretion of the issuing officer. TRP holders can also apply for permanent residence if qualified, more details are provided in the permanent residence chapter.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Skip to toolbar